Wednesday, November 18, 2009

"... lodged like a foreign body in the overall system of art"

I'm giving a reading and talk on Friday:

"... lodged like a foreign body in the overall system of art": poetry/translation/kitsch/cinema/grotesque"
Friday, November 20, 2009
116 Debartolo Hall
1:30 pm

I'm going to build off Daniel Tiffany's article to talk about translation as kitsch. I'm also criticizing Jed Rasula's model of "American Poetry Wax Museum" as essential a kitsch-based framework. I'll also talk about Breton, Plath and Aase Berg as kitsch/translation. I'll post my findings on this blog when I'm done.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lily Hoang said...

looks awesome. i'll be there!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Ryan Sanford Smith said...

Johannes,

Great seeing you the other night, at the reading.

I tried quite hard to make your (this) talk but something came up very last minute. I hope it went well & would love to hear more about all of it, specifically translation which is becoming a growing interest to me.

Take care.

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home