Monday, January 01, 2007

Finland Swede vs Finland-Swede

Here is an interesting discussion of the correct usage of the term "Finland-Swede." I've always used the hyphen (Finland-Swede) because that's the way I've always seen it spelled, but the one person makes a good case for ditching the hyphen (using "Finland Swede" instead) - basically the argument is that it is a separate ethnic group, not a cross between Finns and Swedes.

I am always annoyed when people talk about "the native" as some kind of ultimate authority (In the article, I'm dismissed as a "non-native translator" while Charles Bernstein is portrayed as a native academic who's been led astray by dubious non-native academics such as myself), but I think this guy may be right in this particular case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home