Monday, July 23, 2007

James Tate

I read another review of Zach's Man Suit on the web site Coldfront. And it struck me as interesting that he - like me when I reviewed the book here a while back - should feel the need to emphasize the Tate influence. Were I to review one of the endless array of "quietist" books of poetry I wouldn't know where to begin to talk about influence - other than "the workshop."

So this is I guess both an argument for and against Silliman's quietude idea. One is that it is still so prevalent - though permutating based on the outside influences of the day - but also that I don't think quietude includes someone like Tate, whose work actually does stick out, not merely competent.

The nature of this "sticking out" can of course be up for some discussion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home