Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I'm anthological

Yes, it's sad (not really) but true: New European Poets, edited by Wayne Miller and Kevin Prufer, features some of my translations of Swedish poet Ann Jaderlund's work. Rika Lesser edited the Swedish section and it reflect definitely a generational taste - mostly work by writers born in the 1950s, and the younger poets are not my favorites. Hakan Sandell is part of the "retrogarde" movement in Sweden, a very different movement from the retrogardism of Laibach in Slovenia (which I am whole-heartedly in support of). The Swedish version is a bit like New Formalism but more Romantic.

3 Comments:

Blogger François Luong said...

I had a look at it today and was quite disappointed by the French section. No Tarkos, no Cadiou, no Prigent, no Giraudon. Just Hocquard and that Joris translation.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Johannes said...

Yeah, but I've found a lot of interesting poets too. I'll be more specific in the future.

5:58 PM  
Blogger François Luong said...

The Polish section was interesting in that none of the poets on display seem to be influenced by Milosz, Herbert or Zagajewski. I remember liking Ewa Sonnenberg when I first read her in Gulf Coast 5 years ago. Then again, my tastes were radically different then. It'd be interesting to see if I still like her.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home