Saturday, August 02, 2008

McCain

I don't have a very idyllic view of American politics, but McCain's campaign has surprised me. I am utterly repulsed by these race-baiting ads. When I first saw the Britney Spears/Paris Hilton ad I thought it was a joke. Of course it isn't. Can't beat Obama on political issues, well just show the black man next to two sexual blondes. And then, when he comments (very subtly) on the incredible race-baiting of the campaign, say that he's "playing the race card." This campaign has become repulsive.

Perhaps even more repulsive are these news shows, like "Hardball" etc, discussing it in terms of "Is this good for the McCain campaign?"

Do these people have no spine? No brain? Due to the Right's absurd claim of a "liberal bias" in the media, I think these folks are scared of coming out and saying: "This is racism. This is disgusting."

By discussing it in terms of "strategy" they are legitimizing the ads and the racism. They might as well have a discussion on whether or not racism is a good campaign strategy (apparently it is). (Well, I'm sure Bill O'Reilly has already come out in favor of racism. I once watched his show when he said it was good that high schoolers beat up gay students.)

I cannot express how disgusted I am with McCain.

Also, what about the immigrant who was beaten to death by some good-old jocks in PA. That story should be part of the discussion. This violence is part of the Republican "base" ideology of xenophobia.

I don't want to ever again hear someone say that my poems are obscene.

13 Comments:

Blogger Amish Trivedi said...

Someone pointed me recently to UGA's Pro-McCain student group's website. It's basically a list of things bad about Obama (almost all of which are ridiculous) and there's not one word about why they like McCain. Probably because they don't have anything.

He's an evil bastard and I'm really seriously thinking of getting out if he's elected. I'm not sure how, but if anyone can lose this election, it's the Democrats. It is theirs to lose.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Max said...

I think Obama should just start making ads that blatantly attack McCain for being a 71 year old Vietnam POW headcase, because honestly, even if people pretend to think that he's a "patriot" and "a great American," this is the image that looms behind the facade. I think pretty much everybody suspects that McCain may have been tortured a little too hard 40 years ago, and may be a little too old, to competently handle things. I know I feel that way. This will never be vocalized, of course, but I think it's Obama's biggest built-in advantage.

Anyway, the great thing about Obama is how he parries shit like this. He doesn't get flustered when he's attacked in this fashion and just sit there for days fumbling through a series of responses. And I think there's evidence that even republicans are getting tired of McCain's empty political platform. I guess he just came out with yet another ad that's even more ludicrous than the Spears/Hilton one, in which he positions Obama as having been annointed "The One" (in a Matrix sense). I mean, McCain is constantly in the news for attacking Obama. Obama is rarely in the news for attacking McCain. This is not good for McCain, especially if part of his attack focuses on the idea that Obama doesn't have a platform, but rather that he relies on "rockstar" status to woo votes. Real, thinking people see the hypocrisy in this (republicans and democrats alike), and I don't think McCain has really even captured his base at this point.

10:04 AM  
Blogger ryan said...

the asian fidel castro

1:02 PM  
Blogger Max said...

Just an aside:

Johannes, have you ever been to International Falls, MN? It's kind of like Twin Peaks meets Northern Exposure or something. I'm living here for a few weeks. Pretty cool little place.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Amish Trivedi said...

I think that Rocky and Bullwinkle would prefer Frostbite Falls, no?

10:00 AM  
Blogger Johannes said...

Max,

I think I may have been there. Where in Minnesota is it?

11:32 AM  
Blogger Max said...

It's on the northern border with Canada. It's a logging town. There's a huge paper factory here.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Johannes said...

No, I've never been there. I never went very far north.

1:57 PM  
Blogger mark wallace said...

International Falls only seems cool to Max because it's summer now. In winter, International Falls is cold.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Max said...

I'm originally from Minnesota. I can deal with cold weather just fine.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Johannes said...

Hey I'm from Minnesota (sort of). I can't deal with the weather there.

What are you doing up there?

3:44 PM  
Blogger Max said...

Staying with my mother for a few weeks.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Todd Colby said...

Thank you for saying this.

4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home