Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Movies

Francois asks me what my favorite movies are.

Here are some of them off the top of my head:

La Jetee (Marker)
Weekend (Godard)
Pierrot Le Fou (Godard)
In Praise of Love (Godard)
Two or three things I know about her
Dogstarman (Brakhage) (and all the other stuff)
Scorpio Rising and the one with the little girl running in a garden by Kenneth Anger
Flaming Creatures
The Silence (Bergman)
The Passion of Anna (this is really the best Bergman, but less known than Persona)
Pat Garret and Billy the Kid (Pekinpah)
Renaldo and Clara (Bob Dylan)
The Sacrifice (Tarkovsky)
Solaris
The Mirror
Ivan Rubelev
the one where a guy leads people into a forbidden zone (tarkovsky)
Werkmeister Harmonies (Bela Tarr)
Harry Smith's Egyptian cartoons
Viking Eggeling's abstract Dada cartooons
Un Chien Andalusia
L'Age Dor
Faster Pussycat and all the rest of Russ Meyer
The one movie in which JLo plays Selena
Revenge of the Bee Girls (and all that stuff)
The Ring (about the weird little dead girl from the well)
Cure (Japanese horror movie about Mesmer)
The Japanese anime movie where kids on bikes get abducted and turned into superpeople
Kurosawa's movie with the different views of the murder (especially the witch)
I Am Curious (Yellow) (not Blue)
Together and Fucking Amal (Lukas Moodyson)
The Blow Up (Antonioni)
The Stagecoach (Ford)
My Darling Clementine (Ford) (the best, most hypnotically confusing shootout montage of all time)
The Birds
All of Hitchcock (My dad made me watch it when I was a kid, he thought it would make me into a movie director)
Last Year at Marienbad
Wong Kar Wai's movie about the gay guys in Rio
some of the other Wong Kar Wai movies
Battleship Potemkin
Strike!
Ivan the Terrible (especially part II)
Strangers in Paradise
Twin Peaks!
Jules and Jim (my mom showed it to me when I was a kid and it left a strong impression)
Kaspar Hauser (but no other Herzog! Please! not even the one about the dwarves!)
Doctor Caligari!
Vampyr (Dreyer)
Ordet (Dreyer)
Joan of Arc (Dreyer)
All of Chaplin
Nosferatu
M
Metropolis
Everything by Guy Madden
Videodrome
Nashville

Basically I guess I'm very Eurocentric and very canonical in my movie tastes.

The best poetry reading I ever went to: Inger Christensen and Jackson Mac Low, NYC, 1994

11 Comments:

Blogger Johannes said...

Also that "Paris is Burning" or whatever it's called about lower eastside drag queens.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Amish Trivedi said...

Here's an even better question for you, New Dad:

What movies would you show your child in order to make her into a film director?

For that matter, pick a profession and decide what to expose your Sinead to from that profession.

I'm curious.

Also, I'm not at all surprised "Renaldo and Clara" is on your list.

And I'm mad I didn't think to add Weekend. BAH!

It is "Paris is Burning"

4:30 PM  
Blogger Johannes said...

If you wanted a child to become a stripper you would show them Battleship Potemkin.

If you wanted your child to act like adult, you would show them Paris is Burning.

11:25 AM  
Blogger François Luong said...

Cure (Japanese horror movie about Mesmer)
Hum ... Kiyoshi Kurosawa is a bit hit-or-miss with me. But Cure and Charisma are brilliant.

The Japanese anime movie where kids on bikes get abducted and turned into superpeople
That would be Akira, by Katsuhiro Otomo

Kurosawa's movie with the different views of the murder (especially the witch)
Rashomon?

Wong Kar Wai's movie about the gay guys in Rio
Happy Together. Not his most accomplished, but my former roommate Antonin thinks it's his cleanest in his first period.

Oh, yeah, I should have listed Herzog's Kaspar Hauser.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Johannes said...

I agree, a lot of K.Kurosawa's movies are pretty silly. I like Charisma, but that's just totally odd (the movie about a bad tree).

5:08 AM  
Blogger CLAY BANES said...

happy together — that wong kar-wai film. thanks for reminding me.

i have a copy of renaldo and clara, yet i haven't been able to get through it. it's often compared to a hard day's night, but i don't see it. maybe help!

i'm going to raise my hand and ask to leave work early to go see a movie.

3:13 PM  
Blogger François Luong said...

Now I must ask why Happy Together should strike you more than Wong Kar-wai's other movies (except Ashes of Time, which was a bit tedious)? I mean, compared to Chungking Express or In the Mood for Love ...

9:18 AM  
Blogger Johannes said...

Why Happy Together? I love the little soccer vignettes that are interspersed throughout the movie. It might be that it's his most Godard-like film in many ways.

I'll watch it again tonight and get back to you. (Joyelle is an insane WKW fan so we have I think 5 or 6 of his films on DVD.)

Something good about WKW is that they all kind of blend together - mostly I remember the rooms, the clothes, the hairstyles - so I can watch them many times over without getting bored.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tarkovsky's 'Stalker' (about the zone) is perhaps my favorite movie. Yet I don't have a copy.

No Man With a Movie Camera?

Why would Potemkin turn a child into a stripper? Something about its dialectical approach provokes exhibitionism? Would it only strip down from a sailor suit?

I've got 'October' at home from Netflix, which is beyond irony.

Have you seen czech director Vera Chytilova's 'Daisies'? if not, it will make you swoon.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Ana Božičević said...

! Johannes, our #1 is the same. Actually, 1-4, though I replace "Weekend" with "Mepris".

8:59 PM  
Blogger JP said...

The one Herzog movie that I like as much as KH would be Aguirre: The Wrath of God, if only for the monkey scene at the end & Kinski's perpetual scowl...

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home