Saturday, April 25, 2009

Staying at Notre Dame

A lot of people have asked me whether Joyelle and I are going to stay at Notre Dame. I got a great job offer form a wonderful Creative Writing MFA program, but ultimately we decided to stay at Notre Dame.

There were several reasons we chose to stay, but one was that we've developed a strong relationship to the other faculty and the students.

My "poetry for majors" class this semester was amazing, even if they all wanted to write poems about "shag carpeting" after reading Danielle's "My Zorba." Joyelle taught a great grad seminar on "trans, inter, ultra" or something like that.

I'm currently translating an impossibly complicated essay by some neo-situationist art group in Sweden, so that's why I'm all writing entries and comments on people's blog. Ie I don't have the patience for this essay. And it's long too. But they are paying well.

8 Comments:

Blogger R. Sanford said...

Very glad to hear it, and it's good to hear things are going so well.


Cheers.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Amish Trivedi said...

Smart move. Moving sucks.

10:57 AM  
Blogger troylloyd said...

"I'm currently translating an impossibly complicated essay by some neo-situationist art group in Sweden"holy skitbra Joh-man!

that sounds cool, any chance it will be online?

if not, will it be published inna journal/magazine/anthology?

thanx.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

They know that's not regular shag, right? It's "shag."

Happy news for Notre Dame!

xoxo,
D

12:11 PM  
Blogger Johannes said...

Troy,

It is for something for the Venice Biennale. But it was an interesting article, so I might do something else with them.

J

9:00 AM  
Blogger jwg said...

Good to know that there are job offers out there. Sometimes I get to wondering.

2:57 AM  
Blogger Johannes said...

I would say, no, there are no job offers out there. This was the first time I've even gotten an interview from a MFA/non-PhD program.

Johannes

4:36 AM  
Blogger jwg said...

Well, guess it is back to Korea/Thailand/Western Mars for me then. Easy enough. Location is not all it is cracked up to be. Though, must say, am enjoying being close to London. But, I have enjoyed each of my stops. Maybe the next one , PhD in hand, will make the job a bit shinier.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home